The Peoples Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI / Mujahedin-e Khalq, MEK) is the largest, oldest, and biggest anti-fundamentalist Muslim group in the Middle East, having battled two dictatorships over the course of over 50 years.
MEK membership is hard to predict because it is a banned group in Iran, but over 120,000 MEK members and supporters have been executed by the regime for peacefully advocating for human rights and democracy.
Despite this, not much is known about the MEK outside of Iran, so today we’re going to look at their political platform and the coalition to which they belong, the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI).
MEK political platform
1. Elections: The MEK believes that free and fair elections should be the only path to political legitimacy, so they support a republic based on universal suffrage.
2. Pluralism: The MEK supports freedom of parties, assembly, expression, the press, and all individual freedoms. That’s why they want unconditional Internet access for all.
3. Gender Equality: The MEK believes in complete gender equality across all sectors and seeks to ensure the equal participation of women in political leadership. The MEK would ban discrimination against women and allow them freedom in the areas of marriage, divorce, education and employment.
4. Human Rights: The MEK is committed to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and international covenant and conventions.
5. Equality: The MEK is committed to the equality of all nationalities and supports the plan for the autonomy of Iranian Kurdistan. The MEK believes that the language and culture of all Iranian residents are a resource to the country.
6. Religion: The MEK wants to separate Religion and State. They will also ban discrimination against the followers of any religion or denomination.
7. Judicial System: The MEK believes in the rule of law and would establish a modern judicial system based on the principles of presumption of innocence, the right to defence, effective judicial protection and the right to be tried in a public court. The MEK would abolish Sharia law.
8. Death Penalty: The MEK wants to ban the death penalty.
9. Market Economy: The MEK believes that all Iranians must enjoy equal opportunity in employment and in business ventures.
10. Foreign Policy: The MEK’s foreign policy is based on peaceful coexistence, international and regional peace and cooperation, and respect for the United Nations Charter. The MEK wants a non-nuclear Iran, free of weapons of mass destruction.
The MEK, which is the leading voice for democracy in Iran, is the single biggest member of the NCRI, a democratic coalition of Iranian Resistance groups that wants to see the overthrow of the mullahs’ regime. It was founded on July 21, 1981, by MEK leader Massoud Rajavi.
The NCRI serves as a parliament-in-exile and has more than 500 members, including representatives of ethnic and religious minorities, such as Kurds, Baluchis, Armenians, Jews, and Zoroastrians. The NCRI support a secular democratic republic in Iran, based on the separation of religion and government and the other ideas laid out in the MEK’s 10-point plan.
Source » irannewsupdate