The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) is the main official body responsible for implementing regulations and operating nuclear energy installations in Iran;
It is headquartered in northern Amir Abad district in Tehran, but has facilities throughout the country. The organization is currently headed by Ali Akbar Salehi;
OFAC added to the SDN List the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) as well as 23 AEOI subsidiaries and associated individuals, and identified them as meeting the definition of the term “Government of Iran” pursuant to E.O. 13599 and section 560.211 of the ITSR;
AEOI has operational and regulatory control over Iran’s nuclear program and bears responsibility for nuclear research and development;
Bank Mellat provides banking services in support of Iran’s nuclear entities, namely the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) and Novin Energy Company;
The Atomic Energy Oranization of Iran has its own subsidiaries:
Advanced Technologies Company of Iran, AEOI Basij Resistance Center, Atomic Fuel Development Engineering Company, Iran Nuclear Regulatory Authority, Iran’s Nuclear Power Plant Construction Management Company, Mesbah Energy Company, Novin Energy Company, Novin Pars Mineral Exploration and Minig Engineering Company, Nuclear Power Production and Development Company of Iran, Nuclear Science and Technology Research Institute, Pars Isotope Company, Power Plant Equipment Manufacturing Company, Radiation Applications Development Company, Rastin Khadamat Parsian Company, Tamas Company, The Nuclear Reactors Fuel Company, Uranium Processing and Nuclear Fuel Company;
AEOI also has its own sub-divisions:
– Nuclear Fuel Production Division (NFPD): Research and development on the nuclear fuel cycle, including uranium exploration, mining, milling, conversion, and nuclear waste management; departments include Jaber Ibn Hayan Research Dept., Exploration and Mining Dept., Benefication and Hydrometallurgical Research Center, Nuclear Fuel Research and Production Center, Waste Management Dept., and Saghand Mining Dept.
– Nuclear Power Plant Division (NPPD): Responsible for planning, construction, commissioning, decommissioning and nuclear safety of nuclear power plants in Iran. Departments include: Engineering and Technical Supervision Department (E&TSD) – responsible for design, review, evaluation and approval of engineering and technical documents, participation and quality control; Quality Assurance Department (QAD) – responsible for ensuring the quality of power plant design, manufacturing, construction, commissioning and operation; Special Contracts Department (SCD) – responsible for contracting for goods and services needed in nuclear power plant construction; Nuclear Services Department (NSD) – responsible for training personnel for plant maintenance and operation during construction period, and involved in spare part procurement; Project Managers (PM) – responsible for overall supervision of manufacturing, construction, installation and commissioning activities.
– Engineering and Technical Supervision Department (ETSD): Design, review, evaluation and approval of engineering and technical documents, participation and quality control.
– Research Division: Responsible for planning and guiding research projects, and has nine affiliated research centers: Information and Data Processing Center, Nuclear Research Center, Research Center for Lasers and their Application, Nuclear Fusion Research Center, Gamma Irradiation Center, Center for Renewable Energy Development, Nuclear Research Center for Agriculture and Medicine (Karaj), Yazd Radiation Processing Center and Bonab Research Center.
– Planning, Education and Parliament Affairs Division which includes the International Affairs Department (IAD): Oversees cooperation with AEOI counterparts abroad and drafts documents on AEOI policies; maintains a delegation at the IAEA in Vienna, Austria and one in Moscow, Russia.
Also Known As:
Sazeman-e Energy Atomi
Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran
P.O. Box 14144-1339, End of North Karegar Avenue, Tehran, Iran
P.O. Box 14155-4494, Tehran, Iran
Person of interests:
Ali Akbar Salehi (President)
Said Esmail Khalilipour (Deputy Head)
Ali Reza Khanchi (Head of the Tehran Nuclear Research Center)
Amir Rahimi (Head of the Esfahan Nuclear Fuel Research and Production Center)
Mohammad Qannadi (Vice President for Research and Development)
Jafar Mohammadi (Technical Adviser)
Seyyed Hussein Husseini
Mohammed Reza Rezvanianzadeh
Jabber Ibn Hayan
Reason for the color:
» Added to the Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list maintained by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) on November 5, 2018 pursuant to E.O. 13599 and section 560.211 of the ITSR. Entity identified as meeting the definition of the term “Government of Iran”
» Designated entities for being owned by Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI);
» AEOI owned the companies Iran used for secret centrifuge research;
» Removed from the List of Specially Designated, by the Office of Foreign Assets Control on Implementation Day under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, January 19 2016;
» Removed from the U.N. list in January 2016 by U.N. Security Council resolution 2231;
» Listed in an annex to U.N. Security Council resolution 1737 of December 23, 2006, as an entity involved in Iran’s proliferation-sensitive nuclear activities;
» Added on July 12, 2007 to the U.S. “Entity List” of end users whose activities impose “a risk of diverting exported and re-exported items into programs related to weapons of mass destruction,”;