The nighttime raid saw SEALS descending from helicopters onto a small sailing boat known as a dhow to capture 14 crewmembers and the weapons parts.
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) Commander Gen. Michael Kurilla said Tuesday the raid indicates Iran “continues shipment of advanced lethal aid to the Houthis.”
“This is yet another example of how Iran actively sows instability throughout the region,” Kurilla said.
The weapons on board included air defense components and warheads for medium-range ballistic missiles and anti-ship cruise missiles.
Two Navy SEALS who were part of the covert mission went missing last week when boarding a combat operations craft.
One soldier fell into rough waters and another jumped in after him, with the search for the SEALS continuing.
The raid comes as tensions continue to flare up across the Middle East amid the Israel-Hamas war.
The Iranian-backed Houthi rebels are continuing to target merchant ships and U.S. forces in the Red Sea, even after destructive American-led strikes in Yemen.
On Tuesday, the U.S. carried out another strike on the Houthis, destroying four Houthi anti-ship ballistic missiles.
“These missiles were prepared to launch from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen and presented an imminent threat to both merchant and U.S. Navy ships in the region,” CENTCOM said.
Source » thehill