Iranian First Vice-President Eshaq Jahangiri blasted the European states for their calls on Tehran for a one-sided commitment to the nuclear deal, stressing that they should instead try to remove the US cruel sanctions against Iran.
“In the current conditions, the Europeans should tell the Americans to give up their cruel sanctions against Iran, instead of holding meetings with us and asking us to return to the nuclear deal,” Jahangiri said, addressing a congress in Tehran on Tuesday.
He underlined that based on the nuclear deal, no sanctions should be imposed against Iran, and said, “Iran’s return to the nuclear deal is a very simple job and if Iran wants, it can implement all its undertakings within a few hours.”
Jahangiri said that Iran embarked on modification of its nuclear deal undertakings to prove that it is not a country which lacks determination, adding, “In the current conditions and given the events happening in the region and the world, the other sides have no way but to remain committed to their undertakings.”
In relevant remarks on Monday, the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) underlined its capability to return to conditions before the nuclear deal if the other signatories did not remain committed to their undertakings.
Kamalvandi said in a radio interview that the measures Iran was taking to modify its nuclear deal undertakings were aimed at encouraging the other side to do its promises based on the agreement.
“These measures are not out of stubbornness but they are aimed at giving an opportunity to diplomacy so that the other side will wake up and do its responsibilities,” he said.
“If the Europeans and the US do not want to comply with their undertakings, we will also make a balance in the agreement by modifying our undertakings and will return the conditions to 4 years ago,” Kamalvandi said.
He underlined that Iran had remained fully committed to the nuclear deal and the reports by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) confirmed it.
Washington withdrew from the internationally-endorsed 2015 nuclear deal with Iran on May 2018, reimposed the toughest-ever sanctions against the country and started a plan to zero down Tehran’s oil sales.
Under the nuclear agreement reached between Iran and six world powers in July 2015, Tehran undertook to put limits on its nuclear program in exchange for the removal of nuclear-related sanctions.
Yet, Iran continued compliance with deal, stressing that the remaining signatories to the agreement (specially the Europeans) had to work to offset the negative impacts of the US pullout for Iran if they want Tehran to remain in compliance. The Iranian officials had earlier warned that the European Union’s failure in providing the needed ground for Tehran to enjoy the economic benefits of the nuclear deal would exhaust the country’s patience.
Almost a year later, however, the EU failed to provide Tehran with its promised merits. Then, the US state department announced that it had not extended two waivers, one that allowed Iran to store excess heavy water produced in the uranium enrichment process in Oman, and one that allowed Iran to swap enriched uranium for raw yellowcake with Russia.
Until now, Iran was allowed to ship low-enriched uranium produced at Natanz to Russia before it hit the 300-kg limit and the US measure leaves no way for Tehran other than exceeding the ceiling for storing the enriched uranium in violation of the 2015 nuclear deal.
Also, the United States would no longer waive sanctions that allowed Iran to ship heavy water produced at its Arak facility beyond a 300-ton limit set in the 2015 nuclear deal to Oman for storage which again forces Tehran to store it inside country in violation of the nuclear deal.
In return, Iran’s Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) announced in a statement on May 8 that the country had modified two of its undertakings under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action in return for the US abrogation of the deal and other signatories inability to make up for the losses under the agreement, warning that modifications would continue if the world powers failed to take action in line with their promises.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran declares that at the current stage, it does not any more see itself committed to respecting the limitations on keeping enriched uranium and heavy water reserves,” the statement said.
Then Iran gave Europe 60 days to either normalize economic ties with Iran or accept the modification of Tehran’s obligations under the agreement and implement the Europe’s proposed INSTEX to facilitate trade with Iran.
Iran set up and registered a counterpart to INSTEX called Special Trade and Financing Instrument between Iran and Europe (STFI) to pave the way for bilateral trade.
Then on June 28, Secretary General of the European External Action Service (EEAS) Helga Schmid announced that INSTEX has become operational.
“INSTEX now operational, first transactions being processed and more EU Members States to join. Good progress on Arak and Fordow projects,” Schmid wrote on her twitter account after a meeting of the Joint Commission on JCPOA ended in Vienna following three and a half hours of talks by the remaining signatories to the deal (the EU3 and Russia and China).
It was the 12th meeting of the Joint Commission on JCPOA in Vienna.
Meantime, seven European countries–Austria, Belgium, Finland, the Netherlands, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden–in a joint statement expressed their support for the efforts for implementation of the INSTEX.
Later, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araqchi described the nuclear deal joint commission meeting with the Europeans as “a step forward”, but meantime, reminded that it did not meet Iran’s expectations.
“It was a step forward, but it is still not enough and not meeting Iran’s expectations,” said Araqchi, who headed the Iranian delegation at the JCPOA joint commission meeting in Vienna.
In addition to their defiance of the JCPOA, the Europeans showed more animosity towards Iran last Thursday and seized an Iranian oil tanker by Britain at the US request.
Acting Spanish Foreign Minister Josep Borrell said Gibraltar detained the supertanker Grace 1 after a request by the United States to Britain.
Borrell was quoted by Reuters as saying that Spain was looking into the seizure of the ship and how it may affect Spanish sovereignty as it appears to have happened in Spanish waters.
Spain does not recognize the waters around Gibraltar as British.
Experts believe that the measure taken by the British government in seizing the Syria-bound Iranian tanker is illegal and can have serious consequences for the government in London.
Source » farsnews