Hedayat Farzadi (Farzadi) operates one of Iran’s most notorious prisons as the warden of Evin Prison. Numerous protestors have been sent to Evin Prison during the latest round of protests where they have been subjected to torture and other forms of physical abuse.
Farzadi was an infamous figure in the Iranian prison system even before assuming the leadership of Evin Prison. During his tenure at Dizel Abad Prison in western Iran, which lasted 10 years, Farzadi was known to organize public amputations of criminals convicted of petty crimes. As director of Greater Tehran Penitentiary, also known as Fashafouyeh Prison, Farzadi oversaw the torture and maltreatment of numerous prisoners, including political prisoners and members of religious minority groups. Several prisoners under his responsibility are known to have died from lack of medical treatment. Some, including political prisoners and members of religious minority groups, were killed by prison guards. Farzadi himself was known to personally carry out executions.
Farzadi was eventually dismissed from Fashafouyeh Prison after the death of a political prisoner, but the Iranian prison system and security establishment, to include the IRGC, continues to protect him. Despite his record of abuse, after being dismissed from Fashafouyeh, Farzadi was named the director of the inspection department of Iran’s prison organization.
List of crimes that took place in the two years that Farzadi was based at this prison:
– The beating, torturing, killing of prisoners, as well as depriving them of their basic rights.
– Non-observance of the principle of segregation of crimes, very high population density in wards, poor prison health conditions, cutting off water to prisoners, and starving them.
– The death of a 27-year-old prisoner after 43 days in prison following a lung infection and lack of treatment in November 2018.
– The lack of medical attention to the situation of political prisoner Soheil Arabi, who was severely beaten during his interrogation in April 2019.
– The torture and harassment of Gonabadi dervishes were transferred to this prison in February 2018, despite being wounded during their arrest.
– The participation in the murder of political prisoner Alireza Shirmohammad-Ali. On the evening of Monday, June 10, 2019, in public ward number 11 of the 1st Brigade of this prison, Shirmohamad-Ali was attacked and stabbed by two dangerous prisoners, Mohammad Reza Khalilzadeh and Hamidreza Shojazadeh. Due to the severity and extent of the injuries sustained, he lost his life before reaching the hospital.
Warden of Evin Prison
Also Known As:
(Arabic: هدایت فرزادی)
FARZADI, Hedayatollah (Arabic: هدایتالله فرزادی)
25 Jul 1971
National ID No.:
Reason for the color:
» Added to the Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list maintained by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) on October 26, 2022;