While the US sanctions imposed on Iran have managed with the cooperation of most EU countries to take their toll on the Iranian regime, there is a group of Greek shipowners that acts as if they really don’t care. These shipowners continue to act as if they are untouchable, ignore the sanctions regime and make tons of money. All the while other shipowners are not allowed to compete.
Some of the companies that are owned by these Greek shipowners’ transport smuggled IRGC crude oil from Iraq, while others deliver crude and oil products directly to and from Iran, using their tankers as well as STS activities. Some of these tankers, as part of their routine activity, even visit the US.
How is this possible? Money? Pressure? Mutual interests?
Below are a few examples:
Evengelis Marinakis (Capital maritime and trading corp.):
• Amfitrion (9724623) – On 27-29 April 2020 the tanker was in the US. On 9 June uploaded flammable oil in Bahia Blanca, Argentina, 11 July offloaded the cargo in Bandar abbas.
George Prokopiou (Dynacom tankers management ltd):
• Polymnia (9575955) – On 25 May 2020 uploaded IRGC controlled crude using STS from the Maroon (9179701) owned by Smart Tankers Inc. (Greece) in Khor al Zubair, Iraq to Fujairah.
• Gladiator (9378864) – On 10 July 2020 uploaded IRGC controlled crude using STS from the Najaf (9197909) in Khor al Zubeir, Iraq.
• Southsea (9286657) – On 12 April 2020 uploaded IRGC controlled crude using STS from the Najaf (9197909) in Khor al Zubeir, Iraq, on the way to India.
• Sikinos I (9800269) – On 20 March 2020 uploaded IRGC controlled crude using STS from the Najaf (9197909) in Khor al Zubeir, Iraq, on the way to India.
Kriton Lendoudis (Evalend Shipping co SA):
• Najaf (9197909) – The VLCC which for the past year and a half mixes IRGC controlled and smuggled crude with Iraqi smuggled crude, using STS with various tankers traveling to worldwide destinations.
• Three other tankers – Riva (9361469), Imperator (9367906), Majnoon (9221671) – are delivering oil between Yemen ports and Fujairah.
• Three bulk carriers travel regularly between Hamburg and Bandar abbas port – Captain Adams (9737618), Interceptor (9835965), Villa Deste (9835941).
Georgios Gialozoglou (IMS SA)
• Victor 1 (9283722) – On 8 February uploaded Iranian crude from Bandar Imam Khomeini on the way to Fujairah.