The following is a summary of the protests that took place in Iran in October 2020.
Despite the spread of the coronavirus throughout Iran, various sectors of society still staged protests over the dire economic situation. According to statistics that have been collected and recorded, during October 2020, some 341 protests took place in 83 cities in Iran. The number of protests in October 2020 is roughly the same as those in September 2020.
Details of Iran protests by various sectors of society in October 2020 are as follows:
– Workers: 213 cases in 48 cities
– Intellectuals: 21 cases in 12 cities
– Retirees: 12 cases in 9 cities
– Farmers: 6 cases in 5 cities
– Creditors: 5 cases in 4 cities
– Livestock farmers: 4 cases in 4 cities
– Truckers: 2 items in 2 cities
– Businessmen: 1 case in 1 city
– Students: 1 case in 1 city
– Flood victims: 1 case in 1 city
– Other classes: 62 cases in 32 cities
– Prisoners: 6 cases in 4 cities
– Prisoners’ hunger strike: 7 cases (5 individual / 2 collective)
Total recorded protests in Iran in October 2020: 341 cases in 83 cities
– Features of the October 2020 protests:
– Workers still had the most protests.
– In a number of protests, demonstrators from different provinces came to Tehran and concentrated their protest in the capital and in front of important centers.
– A number of protests continued for several consecutive days.
– Protest movements have been formed in big, small cities and even villages.
– The extent of different strata in protest movements is significant.
– Women participated in a number of protests alone.
1. Workers protests in Iran in October 2020
In this period of time, workers staged 213 protests in 48 cities. On average, there were seven protests by workers every day. The main protests of the various classes of workers are as follows:
Municipal Workers’ Strike and Rally: In the coronavirus, municipal workers are among the most vulnerable. Without any possibility of preventing and countering the coronavirus, with a salary that is the reach the cost of just 10 days for the worker and his family, while these salaries have not been paid for months by municipal agents and various contractors.
These workers went on strike and gathered from one day to several days in the cities of Ahvaz, Omidieh, Khorramshahr, Parand, Assaluyeh, Omidieh, Lushan, Dehdasht, Arvandkenar, Srishabad, Yasuj, Hamidiyeh, Lordegan, Surashjan, Jahrom, Tehran and Bojnourd.
Railway workers gathered in Andimeshk, Dorud, Varamin, Sarkhs, Tabriz, Salmas to protest against the non-receipt of their salaries and other benefits and to protest against their poor living conditions.
1. Workers of Refineries and Power Plants
Workers at refineries and power plants went on strike. In this regard, the following can be mentioned:
– Rally by workers of Ahvaz Veis Power Company in protest of non-receipt of arrears.
– Rally by contract workers of Ahvaz Ramin power plant in protest of the sale of shares of the power plant.
– Workers of Abadan Combined Cycle Power Plant gather to protest the non-receipt of arrears.
– Multi-day rally of fired Dehloran petrochemical workers in protest of dismissal.
– Two-day rally by Razi petrochemical workers in Site 5 of Mahshahr Petrochemical Special Economic Zone to protest non-implementation of job classification plan.
– Workers gather at the South Pars Gas Complex to protest the non-implementation of the 14-day work plan.
– Lamerd Petro Refinery workers strike in protest of non-receipt of arrears.
– Assaluyeh workers’ strike on behalf of 2,000 of their colleagues against the low level of wages.
– Parsian Gas Refinery workers strike in protest of non-receipt of arrears.
– Multi-days rally by fired workers of Mapna Bidboland 2 Refinery in protest of dismissal.
– Gathering of workers affiliated with Amirkabir Petrochemical in Mahshahr port in protest of job and livelihood uncertainty.
– Two-day strike by workers of repair units of Fanavaran Petrochemical Company in Mahshahr Petrochemical Special Economic Zone, in protest of low wages.
– Gathering of Ghadir Petrochemical workers in Tehran Minimal advantages over other petrochemicals.
Other Workers in Other Companies and Workshops
– Haft Tappeh Sugarcane Complex in Susa: Workers gather at Haft Tappeh Sugarcane Complex to protest the non-receipt of arrears.
– Strike by workers in the steam furnace section of Haft Tappeh Sugarcane Complex, in protest the dismissal of one of the workers.
– Gathering of workers of Ahwaz Water Supply and Sewerage Company in protest of non-implementation of the notification of change of job status and non-implementation of the employment conversion directive.
– Gathering of water and sewage workers of Bandar Khomeini in protest of non-receipt of arrears.
– A multi-day gathering of oil industry contract workers in Tehran to protest the non-change of employment status.
– Gathering of workers of the National Iranian Drilling Company in protest of non-payment of wages and insurance premiums.
– Gathering of workers of West Alborz coal mine (Sangrood) in protest of the closure of the mine and unemployment of workers.
– Gathering of workers of the country’s telecommunication company in Tehran to protest against the low level of salaries and temporary employment contracts.
– Gathering of workers of Lushan Iron and Steel Factory in protest of job and livelihood uncertainty.
– Gathering of workers of HEPCO Arak factory in protest of the transfer of Hydro-Atlas share to the Privatization Organization.
– Gathering of workers of Damash mineral water factory in Rudbar in protest of job uncertainty and non-receipt of arrears.
– Rally by workers of Iran Poplin factory in Rasht to protest lack of job and livelihood security.
Workers Strike in Other Parts of the Country
– Strike by the workers of Kerman Khodro Modiran car factory in protest of not receiving arrears.
– Strike by the workers of Iran Khodro Tabriz factory in protest of not receiving their salaries.
– Strike by brick kiln workers in Sib and Soran cities in protest of the low level of their salaries.
– Strike by Bushehr bus company drivers in protest of not receiving arrears.
– Ahar, Meshgin, and Meshkinshahr highway workers strike in protest of non-payment of arrears.
– Gathering of contract and corporate health workers in Tehran to protest job and livelihood uncertainty.
– Kian Tire workers gather in Tehran to protest factory closure and unemployment.
– Gathering of workers of Zamzam factory in Tabriz to protest the dismissal of workers.
– Gathering of fired workers of Qazvin highways and road transport in protest of continuing job uncertainty.
– Gathering of workers of the Sistan plain irrigation project to protest the non-payment of arrears for several months.
– Rally of Tehran Nursery Workers in Protest of Livelihood and Job Uncertainty.
– Gathering of real estate workers in the Pardis town in protest of living conditions.
– Workers gather at Manesht chicken slaughterhouse in Ilam to protest factory closure and unemployment.
– Gathering of fired workers of Shahrekord Barfab factory in protest of dismissal.
– Gathering of drivers of BRT lines of System Four in Tehran to protest the non-receipt of arrears.
– Gathering of workers of Yasuj Municipality Freight and Passenger Transportation Organization for non-payment of 9 months’ salary arrears.
2. Educators Protests in Iran in October 2020
With the reopening of schools, educators are feeling more pressure because of the online teachings. However, in the period, cultural figures had 21 protest movements in 12 cities. The main objections to cultural figures are as follows:
– Gathering of teachers and national and social security retirees on the occasion of International Teacher’s Day in one of Tehran’s parks.
– Gathering of teachers at schools abroad in Tehran to protest the receipt of their foreign exchange claims.
Gathering of Preschool Teachers in Different Cities
– Gathering of preschool teachers in different cities in Tehran to protest the uncertainty and non-change of employment status.
– Gathering of preschool teachers and tuition fee teachers in Tehran to protest the continuation of employment uncertainty.
– Gathering of preschool teachers in Golestan province in protest of not changing their employment status.
– Gathering of preschool teachers in West Azerbaijan province in protest of not changing their employment status.
– Gathering of preschool teachers in Ahwaz schools to protest the non-change of employment status.
– Gathering of Izeh and Arvandkenar preschool teachers in Ahvaz in protest of not changing their employment status.
– Baghmelk preschool teachers gather to protest the group dismissal of teachers with a history of more than 6 years.
– Gathering of Yasuj preschool teachers to protest the non-receipt of overdue claims.
Gathering of Literacy Movement Educators
– Gathering of educators of Dezful literacy movement in protest of not changing their employment status.
– Gathering of selected pre-school teachers in Arak to protest the lack of assignment and employment.
– Gathering of Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad Province Literacy Movement Instructors in Yasuj to Protest Employment Uncertainty.
– Gathering of fired teachers in Zanjan to protest job and livelihood uncertainty.
– The protest of the members of the Tabadakan Housing Cooperative educators in protesting the non-assignment of their property.
– Gathering of female teachers in Yazd to protest their living conditions.
3. Retirees Hold Protests in Iran in October 2020
In this period, retirees staged 12 protests in nine cities.
– Gathering of retired workers and pensioners of the Social Security Organization according to the previous and simultaneous call in Tehran, Arak, Tabriz, Karaj, Mashhad, in protest of the lack of assimilation and the problems of retirees.
– Rally of oil company retirees in Tehran to protest their living conditions.
– Gathering of retirees of Isfahan Oil Company in protest of not increasing the level of pensions.
– Gathering of retired workers of Shiraz Telecommunication Complex in protest of not receiving salaries and arrears.
– Gathering of retired employees of the Ministry of Health, University of Medical Sciences of Gilan in protest of not receiving retirement bonuses.
4. Farmers hold protests in Iran in October 2020
In this period, farmers had six protest movements in five cities.
– Gathering of farmers of different cities in Tehran to protest the announcement of guaranteed purchase prices of agricultural products approved by the Economic Council.
– Gathering of flood-hit farmers of 2019 in Ahvaz to protest the non-receipt of compensation for damages to their agricultural lands.
– Gathering of cash beet growers in protest of not receiving the beet fee.
– Gatvand farmers gather to protest the non-receipt of demands for the sale of tomato products.
– Gathering of saffron growers in Kadkan in protest of the sharp decline in the price of saffron flowers and not buying their products.
5. Creditors Hold Protests in Iran in October 2020
In this period, the creditors staged five protests in four cities.
– Gathering of the creditors of the Nima system in Tehran.
– Gathering of creditors’ household cash registers without permission of Baghmelk city.
– Gathering of educators’ creditors of Gonbad Kavous apartment complex project in protest of the project’s failure.
– Gathering of remittance owners of Azerbaijan Automobile Industry Company in Tabriz.
– Gathering of plaintiffs of a car import company in East Azerbaijan due to the non-delivery of cars.
6. Livestock Farmers Hold Protests in Iran in October 2020
In this period, ranchers staged four protests in four cities.
– Gathering of ranchers across the country to protest the lack of animal feed and their problems in Tehran.
– Gathering of ranchers in North Khorasan in Bojnourd to protest the high cost of livestock inputs and lack of proper distribution.
– Gathering of ranchers in Kalat city to protest the high cost of livestock inputs and its shortage.
– Gathering of ranchers in Ferdows city to protest the lack of livestock input.
7. Other classes Hold Protests in Iran in October 2020
In this period, different strata had 62 protest movements in 32 cities. The main points of these protests are as follows:
– Gathering of employees of medical and health centers in Tehran in protest of not changing the status and low level of their salaries.
– A gathering of 500 doctors in Shiraz in protest of the “Family Doctor” plan, which the government intends to implement.
– Gathering of nurses from different government medical centers in Isfahan province in protest of discrimination, non-payment of overtime.
– Gathering of contract medical staff of Ahvaz in protest of not receiving their demands.
– Gathering of staff of Imam Ali Hospital in Karaj to protest the non-receipt of arrears.
– Gathering of health care providers of the family doctor plan in Iranshahr in protest of not receiving 3 months’ salary arrears.
– Gathering of the families of the victims of the Ukrainian passenger plane at the same time with the presence of the Ukrainian diplomatic delegation in Tehran.
– The blockade of the roads of several cities in Sistan and Baluchestan in protest of the sentence of Molavi Koohi, the Friday prayers Imam in Peshamag.
– Tehran vendors clash under the Aladdin Bridge with the police who had disturbed them.
– Clashes between employees of a diesel fuel depot center (Mandi) around Jask port with law enforcement officers who had come to seize the covered fuel and arrest the employees of this center.
– Gathering of fishermen from different cities in Tehran to protest the increase in unemployment.
Public Gatherings by Different Classes
– Rally by rural telecommunication brokers across the country in Tehran to protest the non-receipt of arrears.
– Gathering of the people of Marivan to protest the traffic of Iraqi fuel tankers
– Gathering of Maladar people in protest of the acquisition of their lands by the Kowsar Property Organization and Iran’s Property Organization.
– Gathering of residents of Dor village in Golpayegan to protest the establishment of a poultry manure factory near their village.
– Gathering of businessmen in the Ustad Sarai neighborhood of Rasht in Rasht due to the slowness of the surface water collection project.
– Gathering of environmental activists and people of Kolmers region in the south of Kerman to protest the activity of silica mine.
– Gathering of people of Banan Zarand village to protest the drying of the village aqueduct.
– Citizens of Ardakan gather to protest the issuance of new licenses for steel units.
– Rally by Sarjolaki villagers in protest of the construction of an asphalt factory in the field of agriculture.
– A gathering of young job seekers in Qala-e-Chenan to protest against unemployment and lack of job opportunities in Khuzestan.
– The two-day gathering of Abadan firefighters in protest of not receiving their 2 months’ salary arrears.
– Gathering of Dehdasht firefighters in protest of not receiving legal arrears and overtime claims.
Continued protests by various social groups in Iran include the following cases:
– Gathering of corporate and rural insurance forces in Iranshahr to protest the non-receipt of 3 months’ salary.
– 16-day gathering of owners of rented cars of Gachsaran Oil and Gas Company in protest of low salaries.
– A gathering of engineers’ members of the Tehran Engineering System Organization to protest the low amount of the tariff in 2020.
– Rally by rented drivers of Mehrestan city health center in protest of not receiving 5 months’ salary arrears.
– Gathering of Sanandaj vendors in protest of the municipality’s ban on their work.
– Gathering of bakers in Yazd due to fixed salaries for 4 years.
– Gathering of the owners and staff of the hall in protest of the creation of coronavirus restrictions.
– Gathering of fuel drivers in Bashmaq Tir Park in protest of paying 25 thousand tomans per night for parking.
– Gathering of landowners of Erfan Complex in Robat Karim in protest of creating legal obstacles to construction and business.
– The three-day gathering of the staff of the 118 Telecommunication Information Center of Shiraz in protest of the lack of job security.
– Rally of truck drivers in Parviz Khan in protest of being forced to go to Sulaimaniyah.
– Gathering of Bojnourd Fire Department approved to protest the job uncertainty.
– Kohgiluyeh’s Water and Sewerage Company workers in Yasuj protest against not receiving 6 months’ salary and not having an employment contract and insurance.
– Gathering of the staff at the entrance gates of the Arvand Free Zone to protest the non-receipt of arrears.
– Gathering of drivers of hazardous fuels in Kermanshah in protest of the poor transportation situation.
– Gathering of employees of Ahvaz Chamran State University because of the elimination of job benefits and increase working hours.
– Gathering of customs staff of Arvand Free Zone in protest of job and livelihood problems.
– Gathering of employees of Iran Telecommunication Company in Tehran to protest the non-receipt of arrears.
– Rally of drivers of LPG gas-burning vehicles and a number of people in Ahvaz to protest against the lack of domestic gas.
– Gathering of some LPG (liquefied petroleum gas distribution agencies) in Karaj to protest the shortage of liquefied gas.
– Behbahani students protest against the problem of internet connection.
8. Prisoners Hold Protests in Iran in October 2020
During this time, prisoners held six protests in four cities.
– A riot of prisoners in the safe ward of Urmia Central Prison in protest of the catastrophic situation in the ward and being hurt by the prison guard.
– The message of political prisoner Hashem Khastar on the occasion of 4th October, the International Teacher’s Day, to all free teachers who have endured the suffering of prison during these years to achieve the goal of freedom. He also condemned the arrests and executions and commemorated the teachers who were executed by the regime.
– The letter of Hashem, a political prisoner, to the heroic nation of Iran, entitled “Save religion and God from the captivity and imprisonment of the mullahs, so that you can develop and see the happiness on your own.”
– Collective call of political prisoners of Evin Prison to institutions and human rights organizations to visit Iran’s prisons.
– Statement of Sunni prisoners in Gohardasht prison in protest of the regime calling Sunni prisoners ISIS.
– Letter from Khosrow Besharat, a Sunni prisoner sentenced to death in Gohardasht Prison, to Amnesty International regarding the death sentence and his situation in prison.
9. Prisoners’ Hunger Strikes in Iran During October 2020
In this period, prisoners held seven hunger strikes (5 individuals, 2 collectives).
– Political prisoners and detainees of the November 2019 protests went on a hunger strike to the forced transfer from Unit 5 of Greater Tehran Prison to Unit 2 of this prison.
– Reza Mehregan, a political prisoner in Evin Prison, in protest of the unfair judicial period and the 14-month deprivation of the right to visit and other facilities in prison.
– Zartosht Ahmadi Ragheb, a civil activist in the Greater Tehran Prison, protesting his re-arrest.
– Adel Mokarram, a political prisoner in Urmia Central Prison in protest of 10 months in prison indecision.
– Re-strike of Adel Mokarram, in protest of the non-fulfillment of his demands after the first hunger strike.
– Ali Mohammadi Moghaddam, jailed because of so-called security reasons in Urmia Central Prison in protest of not being released from prison.
– Arash Alizadeh, Davood Ghasemzadeh, a sick prisoner, and Bahauddin Ghasemzadeh, a juvenile convict sentenced to death in Urmia Central Prison for protesting against the non-attention to their demands, severe beatings, and transfer to solitary confinement.
Source » irannewsupdate